By Pierre Kosmidis
Photos © Leonidas Sboukis, submitted exclusively to www.ww2wrecks.com and used by permission
Spitfire LF Mk IXc MJ755 was built at the Castle Bromwich factory and delivered to No. 43 Squadron RAF in August 1944, which was operating over Southern France.
In 1947 MJ755 was transferred to the Royal Hellenic Air Force, along with 120 other Spitfires and used by the RHAF 335, 336 and 337 squadrons.
The last of those Spitfires were on duty up until 1954, mainly in training and photo reconnaissance and with the passing of time, just one, the MJ755 survived the scrapyards and was later exhibited at the Hellenic Air Force Museum.
In March 2018, following an agreement between the Hellenic Air Force General Staff and the privately funded “Icarus” foundation Spitfire MJ755 was moved to «The Spitfire Company Ltd» at Biggin Hill in the UK in order to undergo a rivet by rivet extensive restoration and make it airworthy once again and let it roam the skies, reminding everyone about the pivotal role these aircraft played during WW2.