Photos by James Dixon, submitted to www.ww2wrecks.com and used by permission
The M24 Chaffee, the replacement for the M3/M5 Stuarts, was a leap forward in light tank design, improving the concept in all directions.
It had modern torsion bar suspensions, completely revised welded steel armor, improved protection and, more importantly, a much more potent lightweight 75 mm (2.95 in) main gun.
Although late in the game (just in time for the Battle of the Bulge, winter 1944), the Chaffee was so successful, being efficient, simple, reliable and rugged, that that it was largely exported after the war and stayed in service with many armies until the 1980s and beyond, encompassing most of the Cold War.
The US Government sent 206 M24 Chaffee light tanks to Greece between 1950-51.
They formed the 392nd and 393rd Tank Regiments in Macedonia as well as Independent Armored Companies, notably the 2nd, 6th, and 10th Companies integrated respectively with the II, VI and X Infantry Divisions.
After 1962, they were gradually transferred to the Aegean islands and by 1975 this transfer was complete.
They formed part of the Independent Recon Companies that were integrated into Tank Battalions.
They served until 1992.
Some were turned into coastal defense bunkers.