By Pierre Kosmidis
Photos: Miltiadis Dimitriadis
The German invasion of Greece was initiated on April 6, 1941, dubbed “Operation Marita”.
The German forces faced stiff resistance at the borders of Greece with Bulgaria, an ally of the nazis in 1941 and the ensuing battles, which lasted for days, left a lasting legacy that still echoes to this day.
Researcher Miltiadis Dimitriadis visited the fortifications of the “Metaxas Line”, some of which were destroyed by the Bulgarians, while others remained intact and were used during the Cold War.
Miltiadis Dimitriadis shared with www.ww2wrecks.com photos he shot during his research, which vividly demonstrate the ferocity of the battles of 1941, the subsequent destruction of some of the bunkers by the Bulgarians during World War 2, as well as the post-war use of several fortifications, when the undeclared war between the USA and the USSR, known as the “Cold War”, was in full swing.
Click the links below for additional reading:
WW2 bunkers in Greece: Lt. Colonel (ret.) Ilias Kotridis and the “Metaxas line” that stopped the nazis in 1941